Lower/ Middle School STEAM
BUILDING STEAM- FUQUA SCHOOL'S STEAM LAB
The development of STEAM-proficient students begins with our littlest Falcons, our PK students. Children who study STEAM at an early age also develop a variety of skills that are essential for success: critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, innovation, communication, collaboration, and entrepreneurship. The Fuqua School STEAM Lab hosts lower and middle school classes weekly to enable students to explore and connect concepts in science, technology, engineering, art and mathematics. Through the STEAM Lab, students explore technology and engineering solutions and appropriately apply the concepts of mathematics in order to understand and address real-life issues, problems, and challenges. As students progress through our STEAM curriculum, students begin to independently integrate STEAM concepts into other disciplines, and are able to answer more complex questions, investigate global issues, solve real-world problems, and meet real-world challenges while engaging in a meaningful, purposeful, and relevant hands-on inquiry-based, problem-based and/or project-based learning experiences.
Here’s just a few of our exciting adventures in our S.T.E.A.M. Lab for grades PK-8:
- Both Chromebook and iPad carts allowing students, via Microsoft Office 365, to create, collaborate, inform and publish independently and together;
- Integrated coding and robotics opportunities throughout the curriculum at all age levels using the Coding Caterpillar, Lego Robotics kits, Spheros, Ozobots and more;
- 3-D design and printing capabilities with our NEW 3D printer;
- A maker space which provides students the opportunity to explore their own interestsand learn to use tools and materials, both physical and virtual, while developingcreative projects;
- The use of our green screen technology to create, edit and publish media such as commercials, newscasts, or short films;
- Experimenting with virtual reality goggles to explore the inside of a human body, Egyptian pyramids, the moon, and so much more!